My toddler is super finicky when it comes to most things, especially fruits and veggies, which is a bit cumbersome for a mostly vegan mommy (we’ll get into the “mostly” distinction in another post).
I also happen to have an abundance of baby food that has been provided for me but my babies never really care for too much so I’ve decided to start “sneaking” fruits and veggies into other foods using various jarred purees. I have mixed pureed squash, green beans and carrots in tomato sauce where it’s been undetectable in pasta dishes. He doesn’t quite eat pasta however, but I do add a third of a jar of pureed pears, apples or bananas to his daily oatmeal.
For the muffins, I have used a few recipes thus far and adapted my favorite one them to my liking. Using ground flax seed instead of egg was important to me because I love the added nutrients and fiber of flax am not a consumer of eggs. I am pleased to say that these muffins are moist, subtly sweet and well loved in my family. My toddler is even a bit stingy with them which is a good sign…sorta.
This recipe makes a dozen muffins.
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup sugar (I used demerrara)
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons of water)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 oz of pureed applesauce (2 jars)
8 oz of pureed carrots (2 jars)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Oil a12-cup muffin pan or 2 6-cup pans.
2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.
3. Mix in a separate bowl: purees, oil, sugar, vanilla, flax.
4. Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet mixture.
5. Stir ingredients together until just combined and there are still some spots of flour remaining.
6. Distribute the batter evenly in the muffin pan(s).
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Remove and allow muffins to cool completely before removing them from the pan(s).
Recipe source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. I made slight variations but it is a very simple tasty recipe.